- Contreras - the 20 year old Venezuelan is in his 3rd year in the Nats organization after being signed as a free agent in 2001. He spent 2004 splitting time between Brevard County (Low A prior to Savannah and Vermont) with less than noteworthy results. This season with Vermont, a little bit better (262/377/297) with 11/16 in SB attempts and 32BB/39K in 46 games.
- Davis - the 21 year old was an 8th round pick (234th overall) in the 2004 draft. He struggled last year with the GCL Nationals (182/295/301). Thus far in 2005, he has been producing better 287/347/471 with 6HR and 21 RBI in 47G. He needs to improve on his plate patience (11BB/45K).
- Yost - the 24 year old was a 20th round draft pick (594th overall) in the 2004 draft. He is old for the NY-Penn League. His numbers in 2004 were OK while splitting his time between Brevard County and the GCL pitching mostly in relief (11G/4GS) 3.79ERA and 1.12WHIP in 35.2IP with 23K and 5BB. In 2005, his numbers are pretty good. In 10G (all starts) he has a 2.90ERA and 1.20ERA. His command is an area of concern with 34K and 24BB in 59IP.
- Brown - In a little under 2 months at Vermont, the 22 year old RH OF has shown some promise (283/342/484) with 8HR and 32RBI. Much like most minor leaguers, his plate discipline is an area he needs to work on (56K and 12BB in 184AB [47G]).
- Howell - Brown's University of Central Florida teammate, a 22 year old LH OF, has put up some pretty good numbers in 113AB [29G] (363/403/487) with 3HR 17RBI. Howell has shown a little bit of plate discipline (9BB/20K).
Wednesday, August 17, 2005
NY-Penn League All-Stars Named
The first New York-Penn League All-Star Game on Aug. 23 in Brooklyn, N.Y. The Vermont Expos have 5 representatives: SS Jose Contreras, 2005 10th round pick OF Dee Brown, 9th round pick OF John Howell, 3B Leonard Davis and LHP Wendell 'Gene' Yost. Quick review of each representative