Friday, July 15, 2005

Let's Go Dutch

Jon Seigel catches up with Ryan 'Dutch' Zimmerman and highlights his struggles in Double-A Harrisburg.
"I try not to let it get to me at all," Zimmerman says. "I am still a 20-year-old. I am a young man still learning things. When you sit back and think about it, it is pretty crazy. I just think how lucky I am and look at it that way instead of all the expectations. Just come out and have fun and play ball like you have your whole life."
He is saying all the right things. The bar was set so high for him with the comparisons to Scott Rolen, Brooks Robinson, and Mike Schmidt coming out of the draft. His manager throws out the names Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, and Craig Biggio when he discussed the composure of Zimmerman. All of these comparisons lead to higher expectations and put more focus on his struggles. Zimmerman is not only adapting from college to the pros, he's doing it on the fly. He is facing guys not only older but more developed than he is. He is doing exactly what he needs to do. He is the future 3B for the Nationals, and though we may see him some time in 2006, his future as a starter may be no sooner than 2007.

No comments: